Thursday, September 25, 2008

Never...never..take things for granted

As an Alpha Strategist, I'm afraid I let my gaurd down this week.

Hurricane Ike decimated the Houston Energy infrastructure, in response I filled the tank to the brim, the crisis seemed to pass, facilities were back and operational fairly quickly.

Alas, that is true, but not the whole truth, it would seem that my region was at the bottom of the list to have gasoline delivered to the pumps, after two weeks, I'm running on empty, there is no gas to be had without a 1 hour wait time.

Needless to say, I'd be out of gas long before I made it through the line, so in a counter move, it is shanks mare and a ten speed bike to make up the difference, if a real emergency hit, I'd be reduced to Fourth World level unable to transport to the hospital or the pharmacy.

The lesson from this one is, never trust what the media says, or what is "normal" that is a huge mistake in a crisis, and failure to forsee these sorts of things will cause inefficiency.

No comments: