Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Die Hard II and an oil change...

Summer, man it is warm out, it was also a good day to change the oil in the ol' Honda, and good lesson was learned about actually "using" your stockpiled goods.


Sam's Club had 5 qt bottles of motor oil for the low price of 9 bucks or so, motor oil is a great item to stockpile as the price will go only upward for quite sometime even with the recent oil price reductions, it takes time for the quarts of oil to deflate in price as the old expensive quarts are moved through the system.

On to the oil change, my Honda takes five quarts, it is an old car and I like to use oil treatments such as Slick 50, I'm sure there is some website somewhere that would reply "Slick 50 is garbage, a scam", well perhaps, I drive old cars and have yet to lose an engine that I've used Slick 50 in.

Well, 5 qts (+) in the oil pan, a 5 qt large bottle of oil, and 1 quart of Slick 50...I'm one quart of oil over the 5 I need....to try and eyeball the large bottle of Castrol and "guess" when a quart is left is a bad idea, to sloppy.

Then Die Hard II arrived for inspiration, pour the quart of slick 50 in first, then pour 1 quart of oil out of the 5 quart jug and voila! 4 qts of oil with one to spare...just like Die Hard II...

Point being, Alpha Strategists buy in bulk to save money on packaging costs, handling larger amounts then what are called for in an application is one more minor skill one must learn to make it work.

1 comment:

riverwalker said...

Thinking with yuor head instead of your checkbook.
Great example of using bulk items efficiently. I use bulk oil for my diesel tractor at the farm, as most diesel engines have a larger oil capacity.

RW